Monday, January 14, 2008

A New Job, Two Meals, and Sibling Week

Chicken Noodle Soup

Ahh, what an invigorating and refreshing weekend I had! Nothing happened, which is nice sometimes. I just cuddled up in a blanket and laid low for most of the weekend, choosing instead to focus on my family and togetherness. Yes, this weekend should have had it's own Hallmark special.

In any case, good news: my mother found a new job. This comes as a welcome change since finances were getting tighter than Scrooge's wallet. I'm going to be quite the penny pincher even still as we try to build back the savings we depleted these past six months. I'm happy about that.

I haven't been keeping track of dinner which is a shame since I've been cooking some really delicious comfort food lately. Up there is a picture of Chicken Noodle Soup. It's way to simple to post a recipe for; just leftover chicken, water or broth, salt, pepper, celery, and carrots simmered for an hour. I add in the noodles (I use wide egg noodles) for the last 10 minutes. Mmm. Perfect for these slightly chilly days.


I also cooked Somewhat Stuffed Shells which proved to be a success. I'll probably post a recipe for those later on today or tomorrow. I call them somewhat stuffed because I don't actually stuff each individual shell; too time consuming when you're feeding eight (8) people after a long day. Of course everyone else is free to take the time to do so.

Tonight my cooking will take a bit of a southern detour. I'll be making stewed oxtail, some black eyed peas, some cornbread, and, of course, rice. I'm sure I mentioned my mom loves oxtail so this dish is for her. Kyle, on the other hand, hates oxtail so I'll be using some of the leftover gravy to make a pasta dish for him. I'll share pictures first chance I get.

Speaking of Kyle, he's got six (6) days off from school starting today so I'm going to use the time to unwind and spend some sibling time together. If I'm a bit scarce, don't fret; I'm just annoying my little brother to death!


Until next time,
<3 Jess

1 comment:

Bakin Rapscallion said...

Sounds like a positive week.