Thursday, November 08, 2007

Forty Six (Yonjuuroku) Days Until Christmas!

I am excited. Really excited. I'm already buying gofts and planning both the Thanksgiving and Christmas menus. Honestly, I dunno who is doing the "family" Thanksgiving; there always seems to be a tug of war within the women for it. But regardless, I always host some kind of celebration either on Thanksgiving or the following weekend.

It is tradition for me to cook a massive meal (I mean massive) while the decorations and tree are put up. The first presents are also placed under the tree on this day. This year's menu is sure to be a real doozy. I'm not sure how many people are coming but if everyone in my family plans to come I will have fifteen people to feed. Not a huge amount, actually. I'm used to huge parties with thirty family members or so...but this isn't a "I miss NYC" pity post so none of those thoughts *shakes head*. Anyway, this year I'll be cooking a turkey, a spiral ham, lasagna, yellow rice, mashed taters, gravy, green beans, a green salad, stuffing (two kinds), and some desserts. Oh and appetizers and a snack tray. Hmm. Oh and of course coquito will be served. *licks lips*

I cook more traditional Puerto Rican food on Christmas: A roast pork shoulder, some potato salad, arroz con gandules, pasteles, un asopao...aye dios mio. ¡Ahora tengo hambre!

Anyway, I need to go hide some gifts and then practice some Kanji. RANDOM JAPANESE UPDATE: Learning the Kanji blows. I don't think my brain can handle learning a thousand characters right now. The hiragana so far has been fun though. In fact, learning the meaning behind the kanji is fun too. For example, did you know the kanji for telephone is the kanji for electricity and the kanji for talk combined? Electric speaking...sounds like a band name.

Until next time <3

2 comments:

Bakin Rapscallion said...

Coquito, now, that's a good time. That's my kind of gravy. If only the Pilgrims had rum--think of how thankful we'd all be.

Jess said...

*laughs* I live for coquito. I just posted a photo of a glass. :)