Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"A Material Reflection" or "OMG I WANT THIS!"

I love surfing the net on my free time and I especially love looking at handmade, personal wares that someone clearly put a lot of passion into. Although there's nothing wrong with getting all your gifts at Target or worshiping big name brands (I happen to worship Nintendo, fyi). Here's a bunch of items and stores I'm fond of drooling over. I'm not actually asking for these things but sometimes taking a moment (or half an hour) to think of things you'd like (and posting them to your wishlist) is healthy . Besides, they make great gifts for anyone so keep these awesome places and their items in mind.



I adore the little pendants at this shop. They are photos or paintings printed on plastic and sealed for truly unique necklaces. My favourite is Almost Night [pictured at left]. Gorgeous.









Anapaulaoli

Cute crocheted stuffed toys! These toys are made with original patterns by Ana Paula herself. Her creations caught the eyes of amigurumi enthusiasts everywhere and now you can pre-order her book, Amigurumi World, at Amazon.com and Borders. It's high on my wishlist, for sure.








Belle and Boo

These prints are adorable and for some reason always remind me of my grandmother. I'd love one or two of these hanging in my kitchen or bedroom. This one is called "Under the Mistletoe" and it's one of my favourites.







Not so handmade: Items that are mass-produced (some more than others). I still think are cool enough to give someone for the holidays.


Fred Flare

I remember shopping at Fred Flare online when it was a small shop with only five categories. A few years later and this site has grown, big time. It's still my favourite place to score funky accessories and home decor, including some old things I thought I'd never see again. I had a snow cone machine just like this one when I was a kid.








Illustory Make Your Own Story Kit

Now this is exciting! I've gotten this kit for a few kids and never been disappointed. Children ages 5 to 8 create this own story on the pages of the kit; they can draw, paint, and write whatever their little hearts dreams up. Stick the pages into the pre-paid envelope provided, send it off, and in three weeks you'll get a professionally printed version of the book. You can only write twenty words per page and it's a short book but that's okay; the kids can write their 500pg thesis when they're older.



Kozik Anarchy Tofu Robot

Isn't he adorable? Animal friendly AND liberal, how can you get any better than this? I'm dying to have one of these little guys on my desk. He's made by Spicy Brown toys and is a limited edition. You can also buy him from My Plastic Heart.









Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero

Every single person I know who owns this book raves about it. The recipes are tasty, easy to make, and look beautiful. But really, what more can I ask for from the people behind The Post Punk Kitchen?







And that's the list of really cool things I want. To see other cool items you can drop by Etsy which is essentially an internet shopping universe just for handmade, one of a kind items. Now that I'm done, it's your turn.

What would you like?

Until next time
<3 Jess

1 comment:

Bakin Rapscallion said...

So many interesting handmade and original goods.

1. "Almost Night" That scene would be great as a wall print.
2. Little Bird and Stump--my grandmother crocheted stuffed toys--she's was automatic. Note: The crocheted stump is quite the phallic symbol.
3.Belle and Boo--a good piece for the kichen--very warm.
4. Fred Flare--I'm there.
5. Illustory--a gift that lets kids use their imaginations--how novel.
6. Tofu Robot means business. I wish there was a Hummus Robot.
7. Vegan Cupcakes--I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm not afraid of vegetables either. Healthier cupcakes are just a good idea. That cupcake on the front of the book reminded me of Burgers & Cupcakes in NYC. It's right across from the Chelsea Theater.
http://www.burgersandcupcakes.us/

I admit--you stepped it up and really delivered--strong list. I'm really thinking now--it's time for a cool list of my own.