Saturday, November 24, 2007

T'was the Day (Way) After Thanksgiving

The Thanksgiving Table

Clockwise from top: Roasted Turkey with herb butter ( inside is a sausage, bread and picadillo stuffing). Yellow rice with pigeon peas. Sauteed green beans tossed with baked sweet potatoes, roasted garlic and balsamic vinaigrette. Gravy (in small individual ramekins). Herbed Garlic Mashed Potatoes. Cranberry and Orange Sauce (in red goblet). Coquito (in green pitcher). Brown Sugar and Honey Ham. Not shown: NY Style Cheesecake. Carrot Cupcakes. Bread. Cheese platter. Bruschetta.

Herb Roasted Turkey

I slow roasted my turkey from 6am 'til almost 6pm; close to twelve hours of slow heat and a lot of moisture. I had, seriously, one of the juiciest turkeys I've ever made. I couldn't even take it out of the rack because it started to fall apart when I tried to move it. I had to serve it on the rack! It ruined my table atmosphere and took up precious room but I'm not complaining.


Brown Sugar and Honey Ham



Green Beans and Mashed Potatoes


I ended up not serving all the food I thought I would which is good because no one showed up. Actually, my aunt, her husband, and her child did show up but they had already eaten at someone else's Thanksgiving dinner. No, I'm not bitter about that at all. This just means that A) I'm glad I didn't serve more food than I did and B) I'll have some leftovers (normally my leftovers only last me until the next morning). I was bitter that my aunt and uncle made terrible guests and really irritated my little brother who ended up leaving the dining room and spending the rest of the evening in bed. Ahh, family. Gotta love them, right?

I made up for the subpar Thanksgiving by making some killer sandwiches from the leftovers and my family (well, my household) fixed up the Christmas tree. I did indeed venture out on Black Friday but it was much later in the evening and I only picked up a few smaller items like DVDs and toys for the kids. The rest of the holiday weekend was spent lounging around and cleaning the house. Tomorrow I will begin decorating the outdoors for the holidays. Fun fun fun.

Now if only I could plan what to cook tomorrow. I'm thinking a fettuccine with marinara sauce, steamed lemon pepper broccoli and...and...aww bloody hell. I'm too tired to think of anything to cook. Oh...on second though I think I'll make oxtail soup. Yes. Oxtail soup. *licks lips* Picture and recipe tomorrow, perhaps.

Until next time
<3 Jess

3 comments:

Bakin Rapscallion said...

Don’t Dream it, Eat it!

I’d have to flip through the magazines at the checkout aisles in Publix to see a spread like that. Either you’re a professional food photographer or a masterful cook. I’d bet on the latter. Yummy, yummy, yummy--I got love in my tummy. My eyes are watering. I’d do the dishes, hell, all the clean-up for a taste. You really put the “sugar and honey” in a ham. Outstanding, you can cook vegetables and meat--I’m glad you place no restrictions on your talents. Anyway, what DVDs did you pick up? I’m interested in hearing more of your adventures. Where are the places to shop this season? What’s on your wish list? Have you been good this year? Can we expect snow? Will I be shocked by holiday lights?

Read about my misadventures:
http://southofdisorder.blogspot.com/

“Give yourself over to holiday pleasure
Swim in the warm gravy and be amazed.
Hot honey ham beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Can't you just see it?” Yes!

Jess said...

I'm going to make a post about what I shopped for and where I'll be shopping this year along with what I want for Christmas (which truthfully is not much this year). I've been a good girl though so maybe Santa will give me more than coal this year.

As for snow, I think Florida is pretty safe as usual. A shame since I miss the white stuff.

As for being shocked I'm not sure if you meant literally getting electrocuted or being amazed lol. I'm hoping for the latter, if any. I'm not doing a lot of lights this year but the risk of my getting shocked is high; I'm accident prone except for when I'm in the kitchen. Go figure!

Bakin Rapscallion said...

Nothing's shocking except for that Chinese wiring.

I will be shocked in one way or another this season, no doubt!